TAX FREE SHOPPING IN SINGAPORE
In Singapore, there is a seven per cent GST, which tourists can claim back before leaving the country. For the list of Global Refund Tax Free Shopping merchants, please visit Singapore page of www.globalrefund.com. Global Refund affiliated stores can be easily identified by displaying the Global Refund Tax Free Shopping logo (picture).
1. Refund Cheque
Present your passport and ask the shop staff for Refund Cheque when paying for your purchases.
Refund Cheque must be completed and signed at the point of issuance.
2. Customs Stamp
Show your purchases, receipt, passport and travel documents to Customs when leaving the country and have you Refund Cheque stamped.
3. Refund Office
Show the stamped Refund Cheque, passport and credit card at a nearby Refund Office and ask for an Immediate Refund on your credit card. Alternatively, the Refund can be paid in cash.
Refund Offices in Singapore:
- Budget Terminal: next to RHB money changer
- Terminal 1, 2 & 3: next to Customs in the Departure Lounge after Immigration
- Funan DigitaLife: Information Counter, Level , 109 North Bridge Road
- Sim Lim Square: Information Counter, Level , 1 Rochor Canal Road
To be eligible for a GST refund under the ourist Refund Scheme, you must:
- spend up to SGD100 (including GST) in a single invoice or receipt. You may accumulate up to three same-day receipts or invoices from retailers bearing the same GST registration number or the same department store to meet this minimum purchase amount;
- submit your endorsed Refund Cheque to Global Refund within two months from the date of Singapore Custom's endorsement;
- leave the country by air within two months from the date of purchase and 12 hours after your Refund Cheque has been endorsed by the Singapore Customs;
- carry small items of high value in your hand luggage and present the goods, Refund Cheque and invoiced or receipt to Singapore Customs at the GST Refund Inspection Counter in the Departure Lounge after Immigration;
- present bulky goods, Refund Cheque and invoice or receipt to Singapore Customs in the Departure Hall before checking the goods in;
- be a student pass holder who fulfils all the above criteria, has purchased goods during the last four months before the student pass expiry date, intends to depart with the goods and remains outside of Singapore for at least 12 months.
You must NOT:
- spend more than 365 days in Singapore in the last 24 months before the date of purchase;
- be a Singapore Citizen or a Permanent Resident of Singapore;
- be employed in Singapore at any time in the past six months before the date of purchase;
- be under the age of 16;
- be a member of cabin crew or flight crew of the aircraft departing from Singapore.